The main aim of Jikan is to build time reports easily.
Often a time report is based on dates, type of work (tags), tasks, or participants. Then you can create from that either, a report link or, the report to be downloaded in PDF format.
What is the benefit of PDF report vs report link?
A pdf is a document that cannot be altered. Therefore when building your time report and downloading it into PDF, it’s as if you took a picture of time logs at a specific date & time. No logs can be added or deleted into that PDF report. Whereas for a link report, logs can be added, deleted, and updated at any time.
It’s important to understand that a report link will keep the same selection (filters) that you've build your report on. But if later on, someone logs time and this new log matches the selection, then the report will show the new logs. In short, we can say that the same report link could end up producing different results at different times.
Let's look at an example...
Let's say you must work 60 hours per month for a client.
A month has passed, and you want to inform your client of how those 60 hours were spent.
So, you build your report based on dates for the last month.
Now, you have 2 choices to inform your client:
- Either, you send the report as a PDF, which means you have no chance to change the logs thereafter, even if you've made a mistake.
- Or, you send a report link. Then you are free to change log details of the report at any time after the link has been sent.
How to download a report as PDF?
- Go to your project
- Go to the time logs section
- Finetune your time report as you wish by using the filters: tags, participants, time range, etc...
- When you are done, next to the Grand Total, you'll see the button "Download PDF", click on it.
You're done, the PDF report is being downloaded...